‘Music therapy is a way of treating the diseases and promoting wellness using sounds & music of different forms to facilitate a desired therapeutic effect in patient’s holistic health.’
Music Therapy is a health profession in which music is used within a therapeutic relationship for improvement in neurological (motor & sensory), physiological, emotional, cognitive needs of the patient.
After the detailed analysis of each patient, the music therapist provides the indicated treatment including music playing, singing, creating, and/or listening to music.
Effects of music therapy are holistic in nature. Through music therapy, patient can have a sense of wellbeing in physical, mental, social, emotional, and spiritual level.
Research in music therapy supports its effectiveness in many areas such as:
- Primary Hypertension
- Hormonal imbalances
- Insomnia & other sleep disorders
- Learning disabilities, ADHD & other abnormalities
- Neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s diseases, Parkinson’s diseases, Multiple sclerosis, Dementia & improvement in cognitive functioning.
- Overall physical rehabilitation and facilitating movement – post traumatic / stroke
Tinnitus & other ear related disorders
- Psycho- Somatic ailments
- Pain Management
As per American Music Therapy Association music therapy can be used to:
- Promote Wellness
- Manage Stress
- Alleviate Pain
- Express Feelings
- Enhance Memory
- Improve Communication
- Promote Physical Rehabilitation